Applications for the 2022-2023 MI Certificate Program have closed.
The next cohort of the MI Certificate Program is expected to be offered in Fall 2024.
Certificate program for organizations or teams.
All Scheduled Dates
November 2022–June 2023
October 10, 2022
Motivational Interviewing Certificate for Organizations or Teams
Highlights from the 2021-2022 MI Certificate Program
5/5 organizations successfully completed the program’s 3 tracks
76% of MI Practitioners who completed the Practitioner Track on-pace achieved MI competence, as rated with the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI v4) tool
90% of MI Supervisors met criteria for MI supervisor skill gains
THE MI CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The Motivational Interviewing (MI) Certificate Program is designed to help organizations implement MI in ways that improve services and outcomes. When delivered well, MI strengthens relationships and promotes positive behavior changes. The MI Certificate Program supports the transfer of MI skills into practice in your organization through comprehensive training, coaching, and implementation support.
This unique program includes three tracks:
- MI Implementation Teams that help their organization adapt new strategies to learn and use MI. Each organization forms an MI implementation team that includes senior team members, program directors, managers or supervisors, and direct care staff. Through workshops with other organizations, individual consultations with expert instructors, and work within your own team, you will develop, test, and improve plans to implement MI in your organization and track its impact. MI Implementation Team members will also complete the MI Practitioner Track.
- MI Practitioners, for those who want to use MI skillfully. Over 6 weeks, this track offers training, self-paced learning activities, and ongoing coaching to help learners strengthen and use MI skills.
- MI Supervisors, for those who have demonstrated competence in MI and want to provide MI coaching or supervision to others. Over 6 weeks, participants in this track continue to strengthen their own MI skills while learning how to provide individual and group instruction that can help others learn and use MI.
Capacity in the MI Certificate Program is limited to 5 organizations or teams. The 2022-2023 MI Certificate Program is currently at capacity.
The next cohort of the MI Certificate Program is expected to begin in Fall 2024.
MI CERTIFICATE PARTICIPANTS
The following organizations were competitively selected for the Academy's MI Certificate Program.
- Goodwill Industries of NYNJ
- Kings County Hospital Therapeutic Rehabilitation Department
- Lutheran Social Services of NY
- Mosholu Montefiore Community Center
- NYC DOHMH Center for Health Equity & Community Wellness/Asthma Counselor Program
- Chinese-American Planning Council
- Food Bank for New York City
- Mercy Center
- Public Health Solutions
“This was an absolutely amazing course! It was so well organized and I felt so empowered to learn, practice, and incorporate MI into my professional and personal life. I loved how intimate the group felt and loved receiving feedback from Debbie and Angela each week regarding how I can improve my MI skills based on each practice exercise, and during the live sessions. I feel sad that the course is ending because I was having so much fun!”
Participant, 2021-2022 MI Certificate Program